NTEC owns the Navajo Mine and currently holds a seven-percent interest in the Four Corners Power Plant. It also owns and operates mines in Montana and Wyoming. Its sole shareholder is the Navajo Nation. NTEC’s purpose is to promote the development of the Navajo Nation’s resources and new sources of energy, power, and transmission. NTEC serves vital customer needs for power nationally and internationally. NTEC is committed to the development of the economic, financial, social and cultural well-being of the Navajo People and the Navajo Nation. NTEC’s operations provide thousands of jobs and support numerous community benefit initiatives.
NTEC was created through a pioneering effort by the Navajo Nation to achieve greater sovereignty over its natural resources. NTEC was established under Navajo law and operates as an autonomous commercial entity with an independent board of directors.
NTEC Board of Directors
Timothy H. McLaughlin
Dr. Peter E. Jenkins
Christopher Joe Talker, P.E.
- Clark Moseley, Management Committee Executive (CEO)
- Harry (Tres) Tipton, SVP Business Development & Operations
- Vern Lund, VP of Commercial and Operations
- Michael Gisin, Chief Financial Officer
- Bernard Masters, General Counsel
- Amy Clemetson, SVP Human Resources
- Matt Babcock, VP of Sales and Marketing
- Tim Fagley, VP of Process Improvement
Mr. Moseley is a senior executive whose range of technical, business, and leadership capabilities are demonstrated by an impressive track record of successfully building and operating large coal projects. He has a degree in Mining Engineering from the South Dakota School of Mines, attended General Engineering Studies at the United States Military Academy at West Point, and is a graduate of the Advanced Management Program at the Harvard Business School.
- More than 40 years of experience in leading major coal mining companies
- After an extended tenure with North American Coal, and more recently with Ambre Energy North America, Mr. Moseley joined NTEC in 2014
Mr. Tipton is responsible for Navajo Mine and Spring Creek Operation, while also overseeing NTEC’s international marketing efforts. In addition, he is charged with locating, analyzing, and developing business opportunities for the company. Throughout his career, Mr. Tipton has held various positions in business development, mine operations, mine management, and executive management.
- Mr. Tipton’s business development activities include projects in coal, limestone, activated carbon, solar facilities, rare earth, lithium, and copper mining in the United States and internationally
- He has degrees in Mining and Geological Engineering from the Colorado School of Mines and an MBA from Southern Methodist University
- Over 40 years of experience in the coal industry
- Prior to joining NTEC, Tipton served as Vice President of Engineering for the North American Coal Corporation
Mr. Lund commenced his career at North American Coal, where he worked for over 25 years, holding various technical, operational management, and executive positions. He graduated from North Dakota State University with a B.S. in Civil Engineering, and from Auburn University with an MBA.
- Mr. Lund is a seasoned coal executive with more than 25 years of experience in operational management, business development, and new project development
- Prior to joining NTEC as VP, Commercial and Operations, Mr. Lund served as Vice President of Engineering and Business Development for North American Coal from 2017 – 2021
- Registered professional engineer
- In addition to executive roles, Mr. Lund has extensive field experience at five different mining operations
- Experienced in all aspects of operations – business development/contract negotiations; new project development including engineering design, permitting, and construction; mine management; executive oversight of multiple operations
Mr. Gisin commenced his career at PricewaterhouseCoopers, where he attained the position of Audit Manager, and subsequently held assistant financial controller roles at Manugistics Group Inc., a supply chain software solutions company, and Foundation Coal Corporation (prior to the merger with Alpha Natural Resources, Inc.). He graduated from Radford University with a B.B.A. in accounting.
- Mr. Gisin is a CPA and coal financial executive with more than 23 years of extensive corporate financing, accounting, auditing, and taxation experience
- Prior to joining NTEC as CFO, Mr. Gisin served as Vice President of Corporate Accounting and Reporting at Alpha Natural Resources, Inc. from 2009-2015
Mr. Masters has 30 years of experience as a legal and compliance executive in both private practices and in-house positions.
- Ten years of in-house experience with Boart Longyear in the global mining industry, including an operational role in Switzerland
- A former partner at Andrews Kurth in Dallas as a commercial trial lawyer representing national clients in complex commercial matters
- Received his J.D. from Tulane University Law School
Ms. Clemetson holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology with an emphasis on human resources from the University of Wyoming. She serves on the Campco Federal Credit Union Board of Directors. She has also served as a Board member for the Yes House Foundation and Energy Capital Economic Development. Clemetson is responsible for the development and execution of human resource strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of NTEC.
- Ms. Clemetson began work for predecessor companies Kennecott Energy, Rio Tinto Energy America, and Cloud Peak Energy in November 2001 (prior to the formation of NTEC)
- Ms. Clemetson worked at the company’s Antelope and Cordero Rojo Mines before being promoted to the Human Resources Director Field Operations role in September 2009
Mr. Babcock began his career in a marketing role with a small software startup where he took part in building electronic market infrastructure to optimize supply chains for large commercial foodservice operations. He later joined an international freight forwarder, where he managed multi-modal domestic and international cargo pricing and logistics. After completing an MBA at the University of Southern Mississippi in 2008, he joined the Coal Business Group at Norfolk Southern Railway, where he held several commercial positions in business analysis, as well as sales and marketing. In 2013, Mr. Babcock joined Cloud Peak Energy to manage international sales and logistics and subsequently joined the management team at Navajo Transitional Energy Company after NTEC’s acquisition of the Cloud Peak assets in 2019.
- Mr. Babcock holds an MBA and a BSBA in International Business/Economics from the University of Southern Mississippi, and has over 20 years of professional experience in sales and marketing, international trade, and logistics
Mr. Fagley possesses a combination of operational and technical expertise and has a proven record of managing safe and cost-effective mine operations
- More than 40 years of experience in mine management, acquisitions, and integrations of coal and industrial minerals operations
- Prior experience includes a variety of roles with Rio Tinto, Schlumberger, Arch Coal, and North American Coal, before joining NTEC in April 2016
- Mr. Fagley has a degree in Mining Engineering from the Pennsylvania State University and is certified as a Professional Engineer